Maplewood’s Springfield Avenue Partnership Seeks Executive Director
The Springfield Avenue Partnership (Partnership), the district management corporation of the Springfield Avenue Special Improvement District (SID) in Maplewood NJ, seeks an energetic and creative Executive Director with strong project management and leadership experience.
The Partnership is a tax-exempt, non-profit corporation that funds itself primarily by a tax assessment on properties within the improvement district and is a governed by a Board of Trustees (Board) comprised of business and property owners, local residents and municipal officials.
The Partnership’s vision is to create a stable, diverse and friendly commercial district that provides for the needs of the local community, draws strength from the municipal amenities on Springfield Avenue, promotes business development and brings new visitors into the district.
About the Position:
The Executive Director is responsible to execute the day-to-day functions of the organization, providing both strategic and tactical leadership for all program areas including: beautification and place-making projects; business recruitment and development initiatives; special events; marketing; financial management; administration and stakeholder relations.
The Executive Director reports to the Board and its President and Executive Committee. The Director works closely and collaboratively with the Board to ensure the organization is responsive to the needs of district stakeholders – business owners, property owners, government, and residents. The Director will be required to work occasional nights and weekends.
Work with Partnership’s Board to coordinate the organization’s annual plan and operating budget.
Maintain a personal presence in the commercial district and get to know business and property owners, community organizations and other stakeholders.
Be an enthusiastic spokesperson for SAM - Springfield Avenue Maplewood
Basic Duties, Specific:
Attend monthly Board meetings and meet with the Board’s standing committees on a regular basis (mostly once a month):
Design Review Committee
Business Recruitment Committee
· Attend Township meetings on an as-needed basis including meetings of the Township Committee, Planning Board, Code Enforcement Committee and Committee on Entrepreneurship and Economic Development
· Oversee the administration of the Partnership, including day-to-day operations, and ensure compliance of Partnership by-laws
· Serve as a public spokesperson and liaison on behalf of the Partnership and individual businesses with public officials, community leaders, news media and social media platforms, etc.
· Plan and implement a variety of special events ranging from street fairs, holiday celebrations and other events and promotions as needed
· Develop and implement fund-raising strategies to support the Partnership’s projects and programs
● Has a Bachelor’s Degree and at least 5 years of senior level management experience in downtown development and management, non-profit management, government/public policy, urban planning or project management
● Is able to balance day-to-day management needs with strategic thinking.
● Is an energetic self-starter who is detail oriented
● Has strong organizational skills, including budgeting, financial oversight and planning capability, and ability to troubleshoot, multitask and manage several projects at once
● Has proven ability to garner support from and successfully engage diverse stakeholders.
● Has an understanding of business improvement districts and their role within the community.
● Has a proven track record in downtown planning, economic development, volunteer and community organizing, marketing or related fields
● Has strong written, public speaking, and interpersonal skills, including issuing news releases, writing grant proposals, and soliciting sponsorships for events and activities
● Has computer skills, including Microsoft Office, QuickBooks, Square Space, social media and email marketing software
● Is able to develop and disseminate marketing materials, coordinate event staging and enter into and monitor contracts for services and with vendors
The Partnership’s Board will negotiate the Executive Director’s hours of work, which shall be between 25 and 35 hours per week, and a package of employee benefits.
The Executive Director will work independently and from home a majority of the time but must be present in the Springfield Avenue Business District at least once a week and more often as needed. It is preferred that the Executive Director be able to use her/his own computer and office equipment for this position.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter that includes salary and benefits expectations and a description of the ability to work from home to ExecDirectSearch@SpringfieldAvnue.com
The deadline for applications is 4:00pm on Monday, August 26, 2019. No phone calls please.
NOTICE: The Springfield Avenue Partnership is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to equal treatment of all employees and employee candidates without regard to race, national origin, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, physical or mental disability, or gender identity.